© 2014 Blaine Martin
Contrary to common thought, the script Coca-Cola that we are so familiar with wasn't used during the first year of Coca-Cola's existence. Even though Coca-Cola was first served on May 8th, 1886 and it wasn't until June 16th, 1877 that the first use of the Coca-Cola script logo came into use.
The first known use of the Coca-Cola logo was in typographical serif capital letters.
The label for Coca-Cola Syrup and Extract registered in the U.S. Patent Office on June 28th, 1887 is shown on the left. Above is the first advertisement for Coca-Cola which appeared in the Atlanta Journal on May 29th, 1886
The first newspaper advertisement for Coca-Cola appeared in the Atlanta Journal on May 29th, 1886 containing the words Coca-Cola in capital letters. A little over a year later, John Pemberton applied for a patent with the United States Patent Office on June 6th, 1887 and received the registration on June 28th, 1887. The label he used to apply for the registration also contained the words Coca-Cola in all capital letters. No use of Coca-Cola in script is known during this period.
During this first year of Coca-Cola's introduction to Atlanta's fountains, legend tells us and historical accounts corroborate, that Frank Robinson, the Coca-Cola Company's bookkeeper was busy perfecting the alliterative spencerian script logo. Logic would dictate that if Mr. Robinson had the the script version available during this first year, it most certainly would have been used.
The first known use of Coca-Cola in it's script form in a newspaper advertisement on June 16, 1887.
Early Candler letterhead showing use of of the first script version of the logo.
The first version of the script logo appears in Atlanta area newspaper ads dating from 1887. This early logo bore no registration mark since it was not yet registered as a trademark in the patent office. The trademark registration was finally granted on January 31, 1893. At that time the logo (actually many varying but similar versions) had been in use for nearly five years.
This early logo was very crude and lacked the symmetry and evenness of later versions. It differed most from later logos with the use of the tail on the beginning o in Coca. It wasn't applied in a constant manner and soon fell from use — being seen on only a handful of the items we collect today.
1891 Trade Card front showing the early logo without a trademark designation.
1891 Trade Card reverse detail showing a more finely detailed version of the early logo in use.
The first trademark registration on January 31, 1893
Over a year later on January 31, 1893 the trademark registration was granted. From that time on Coca-Cola (nearly always) appeared with the word "trademark" or the words "trade mark" either in the tail of the first C or somewhere very near the logo.
Even though the Coca-Cola script logo had been in use for over five years in various forms, it wasn't until May 14th, 1892 that an application for trademark was filed with the U. S. Patent Office.
An early 1896-1900 Complimentary Ticket showing a rather attractive version of the early logo.
1900 metal sign
1898 metal sign
Late 1890's metal sign (top) and c.1904 blotter (bottom) showing the logo with trade mark in the tail of the C.
A c.1900 backbar syrup bottle showing an unusual version of the registered logo.
A box for syrup bottles dating to the 1893-1904 time period.
The second trademark registration on October 31, 1905.
Even though the trademark was registered in 1905 without any trademark designation. The words "Trade Mark Registered" in the tail of the C had been in standard use by the company since 1903.
A new trademark statute was passed in 1905 requiring companies to re-register their logos. It is interesting to note that unlike the previous version that had the words "Trade Mark" in the tail, this time the Coca-Cola Company registered the logo without any text in the tail of the C. Exactly why is unknown, but it is known that the company had been using the words "Trade Mark Registered" in the tail of the C since as early as 1903.
1931 metal flange sign showing "Trademark Registered" in the tail of the C.
Small 1922 hanging sign made for indoor use.
One of Coca-Cola's very first metal outdoor signs. This one dates from about 1904.
1910 Motor Girl postcard.
c.1907 glass change receiver.
C. 1909 blotter advertising for soda fountain sales.
c.1910 canvas awning banner
1930 fiber banner
1934-1938 metal "Bulls Eye" sign
1932 cardboard die-cut featuring the "diminishing logo". The diminishing logo was a design mechanism used on may items throughout the early 1930's.
1931 metal sign
Late 1930's celluloid hanging sign
1931 metal sign
1937 metal sign
c.1930's porcelain door push
A 1920 law required all trademark owners to use the terminology "Registered in the U. S. Patent Office" as the trademark notification with their logos.
Coca-Cola chose to use the abbreviated form "Reg. U. S. Pat. Off." and placed it in the tail of the C—the same location as the previous notification. Oddly, this change did not take place on Coca-Cola advertising until 1930 — ten years after the law was enacted.
1940-1941 "New Betty" metal sign
1948 cardboard die-cut
c.1950 Kay Display menu board
c.1958 door pull
c.1940's celluloid hanging sign
c.1950 electric wall clock
1948 glass countertop sign
In 1941 the trademark notification was moved from the tail of the C and was centered underneath the words "Coca-Cola". Although the mandate was for the notification to read "Reg. U. S. Pat. Off." — the notification can be found with several different variations.
1954 sidewalk sign
c.1955 metal sign
1955 picnic cooler
c.1960 bottle carrier
1963 metal sign
c.1963 straw box
c.1950's lighted sign
1949-1951 cardboard sign
Beginning in the early 1950's the trademark designation had been simplified to "Trade-mark ®" and began to be used on some items. It wasn't until about 1962 that this usage became common practice.
c.1978 cardboard sign
1970 metal sign
In late 1969 Coca-Cola introduced a new branding program replacing the Arciform and Things go better with Coke design devices used during the previous decade. This new program introduced a design vehicle known as the Arden Square.
The Arden Square is essentially a square with the Coca-Cola logo and what is known as the Dynamic Ribbon device. At this time the word "Drink" above Coca-Cola was replaced with "Enjoy".
About 1991 the words Trade-mark were dropped from the designation and ® was simply placed at the end of the logo.